Cloudhead Games is the veteran VR studio behind Pistol Whip and the fantasy adventure series The Gallery, winner of over 30 awards and nominations including VR Game of the Year in 2018. Before Pistol Whip, Cloudhead Games partnered with industry-legend Valve to create Aperture Hand Lab, a humorous tech demo set in the Portal Universe, for the next-gen Valve Index. Always innovating, Cloudhead Games is also known for its early solutions in VR locomotion/comfort with Snap Turns and Teleportation, as well as VR motion capture and hand interactions.
Based in Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada.
Cloudhead has been developing in VR since late 2012 when a successful Kickstarter campaign gave them the mandate to create the first-ever-announced built-for-VR game (previously known as The Gallery: Six Elements). Cloudhead grew into a diverse team of pioneers drawing from a breadth of backgrounds, from AAA game studios like Bioware, Riot, and Relic; to tabletop RPG creators like Worldworks Games. The first episode of The Gallery, “Call of the Starseed,” launched for the HTC Vive in April 2016 to critical acclaim.
As pioneers in virtual reality, Cloudhead has partnered with industry leaders to produce built-for-VR experiences and demonstrate the latest bleeding-edge hardware. With a cumulation of knowledge and learnings spanning nearly a decade of consumer VR, Cloudhead released VR smash hit Pistol Whip in 2019 and has since continued to support the game with live-service features and new content, continually re-imagining the experience by pushing the boundaries of its genre-defining action-rhythm FPS. Click a Project below to view individual game assets.
CEO and Co-Founder
Chief Business Officer
Press & Marketing
Press Key Requests
Awards and Recognition
- “UploadVR Best of VR Awards 2019” – Winner – Developer of the Year
- “Technology Impact Awards 2018” – Nominee – Startup of the Year
- “UploadVR Awards 2017” – Nominee – Best Developer of the Year
- “UploadVR Awards 2016” – Nominee – Breakout VR Game Studio
- “Canadian Video Game Awards 2016” – Nominee – Best Debut Game
- “TIGA Games Industry Award 2016” – Nominee – Best Debut Game
- “What Cloudhead Games have accomplished here is such a rare and delightful balance between a mysterious narrative and a world ripe for discovery and exploration that it’s truly difficult to really describe.”
– David Jagneaux, Upload VR
- “Cloudhead Games was instrumental in developing some of the inner workings of the systems — locomotion, motion control and performance capture — that are now industry standard in VR.”
– Francois Marchand, Vancouver Sun
- “Cloudhead Games is an invaluable source of wisdom in VR locomotion.”
– Kevin Carbotte, Toms Hardware