Enter: the ultimate action hero. Pistol Whip is a physical action-rhythm game where film-inspired gunplay and blood-pumping beats collide. Blast, duck, and dodge your way through fever dream Scenes, build unique rhythms in a ballet of bullets, and claim glory on the leaderboards. Hey Trigger-happy: meet symphonic fury.
Winner of VR GOTY at the 2020 DICE Awards, this Physical FPS is fueled by dynamic tracks, dreamscape visuals, and easy to learn, tough to master gunplay. Inspired by iconic action cinema, the only thing that goes harder than this title’s soundtrack is you. Conquer the leaderboards, flow to the music with your own rhythmic patterns, or go all out as a dual-wielding deadeye with nothing to lose.
Based in Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada
November 7, 2019
Single; Player, Party Mode (pass the headset)
- An Action-Rhythm Rush. Take aim and fire on the beat as you barrel through Scene after Scene. Find your flow, rack up points, become unstoppable.
- The Big Gun: That’s you. Take on special Scenes inspired by iconic movies, and become deadeye legend.
- Absurdly Customizable. Dig into the Styles system to overhaul core mechanics to your exact preferences. Make Pistol Whip a part of your fitness routine, or tweak your loadout to fit your accessibility needs.
- Endless Ways To Play. Tackle over 30 unique Scenes, bag daily Contracts challenges, and always stay tuned for the next big content update.
- Cinematic Campaigns. Ride into the wild, wild west with Smoke & Thunder, or face down a technicolour Robopocalypse in 2089.
- A Dancefloor Fever Dream. Fall into vivid fantasias, shimmering nightmares, and skylines that pulse with the beat—then blast your way back out.
- Songs To Get Reckless To. From Devora’s furious desert rock to the driving basslines of Apashe, this soundtrack will have you feeling invincible.
Cinematic Campaign: 2089
December 2, 2020
The cybernetic future is here, and it needs the perfect hero. It needs you. The 2089 campaign features a gritty sci-fi story and five linked scenes. Step into the cyber-augmented body of John Asimov, wielding a brutal new arsenal to battle an off-world plague of killer machines — all set to a sweet synthwave soundtrack.
Cinematic Campaign: Smoke & Thunder
August 12, 2021
A notorious gunslinger re-emerges to roam the Old West in search of her missing sister, unwinding a deep conspiracy on the cusp of the industrial revolution. It’s time to don your best cowboy hat and go guns-blazing to the wild West, where trains run amok, Tesla tech buzzes at every turn, and dynamite blasts dance across the sky.
August 12, 2021
Pistol Whip’s “Styles” system lets you combine your preferred weapon type with up to five modifiers in the scene of your choice, to create a personalized unstoppable action experience! Each unique combination creates a new leaderboard, so you can challenge friends or compete solo to dominate the leaderboard for that Style.
Awards and Accolades
- “Canadian Game Awards 2021” Winner – Best VR/AR Game (for Smoke & Thunder Campaign)
- “NYX Game Awards 2021” Winner – PC Game (AR/VR Game)
- “Webby Awards 2021” Honoree – Technical Achievement (Games)
- “VR Fitness Awards 2020” Winner – Action VR Fitness Game of the Year
- “SXSW Gaming Award 2020” Nominee – XR Game of the Year
- “PSVR Without Parole Awards 2020” Nominee – PSVR Game of the Year
- “VR Awards 2020” Finalist – VR Game of the Year
- “International Mobile Gaming Awards 2020” Nominee – People’s Choice Award
- “D.I.C.E. Awards 2020” Winner – Immersive Reality Game of the year
- “D.I.C.E. Awards 2020” Finalist – Immersive Reality Technical Achievement
- “Game Developer’s Choice Awards 2020” Finalist – Best VR/AR Game
- “UploadVR’s Best VR of 2019 Awards” Nominee – Best Quest Game/Experience
- “UploadVR’s Best VR of 2019 Awards” Nominee – Best PC VR Game/Experience
- “UploadVR’s Best VR of 2019 Awards” Nominee – Most Immersive Moment
- “UploadVR’s Best VR of 2019 Awards” Nominee – Most Active VR Game/Experience
- “UploadVR’s Best VR of 2019 Awards” Nominee – Overall Best VR of 2019
- “Road to VR’s 2019 Game of the Year Awards” Winner – SteamVR Game of the Year
- “VR Fitness Insider’s VR Fitness Awards 2019” Winner – Best New VR Fitness Game of the Year
- “VR Fitness Insider’s VR Fitness Awards 2019” Winner – Best Action VR Fitness Game of the Year
- “VRGear’s Best VR Games of the Decade” Top 10
- “Polygon’s 50 Best Games of 2019” #50
- “Gamespot’s Best VR Games of 2019” Top 5
- “Forbes’ Top Ten VR Games of 2019” Top 10
- “VRFocus’ Best Oculus Quest Games of 2019” Top 10
- “VRFocus’ Best Oculus Rift Games of 2019” Top 10
- “GameRant’s Top 10 Virtual Reality Games of 2019” Top 10
- “Eurogamer’s Favourite Games of 2019” Ian Higton’s Top 5
- “Giant Bomb’s Top 10 Games of 2019” Mike Drucker’s Top 10, Kahlief Adams’ Top 10, Will Smith’s Top 12
Press & Marketing
Press Key Requests
About Cloudhead Games
Cloudhead Games is the veteran VR studio behind Pistol Whip and the fantasy adventure series The Gallery, winner of over 30 awards and nominations including VR Game of the Year in 2018. Before Pistol Whip, Cloudhead Games partnered with industry-legend Valve to create Aperture Hand Lab, a humorous tech demo set in the Portal Universe, for the next-gen Valve Index. Always innovating, Cloudhead Games is also known for its early solutions in VR locomotion/comfort with Snap Turns and Teleportation, as well as VR motion capture and hand interactions.
More information on Cloudhead Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.